Turning Supernatural
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World building for a book i am trying to write

3 posters

Go down

World building for a book i am trying to write Empty World building for a book i am trying to write

Post by The Lord Regent Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm trying to write a story and am currently world building, id like to get ya'll's opinions on it 

The Ascendancy: There was a time when mankind was subservient to a race from beneath the seas, but the era was brought to an end many centuries ago by a group of powerful spell casters leading who led a rebellion which exterminated all the Harekan residing on land with ruthless efficiency and formed the Human Ascendancy. Over the centuries the Ascendancy grew from a collection of sovereign but united “tribes” into an absolutely massive unified empire. They are the largest power of the Jerdan mainland.

Basic Geography of the ascendancy:  The Ascendancy is a vast and relatively well tamed land, except on the outskirts and frontier; the eastern ascendancy is comprised of hills and mountains, while the west is a place of fertile farmland that gradually becomes wetland as you go farther west; the north is a region of forests until you hit the coast, and the heartland has a bit of it all.

Social classes:

High mage: The High mage; the most powerful mage the lord houses have to offer is the official leader of the Ascendancy. After the death of each High mage a tournament is held between any interested members of the nobility to decide the next high mage. The High mage reside in the capitol city of the ascendancy, a coastal city known as Stormreef; the location is symbolic as it positions them between the Harekan and the Ascendancy.

Magic lords: The mage lords are the true magic masters of the Ascendancy and the elite; to be of noble birth is not enough one must also train extensively in spell craft, to the ascendancy aptitude in spell casting is the right to rule. Some houses have unique magic styles while others focus on perfecting basic magic. Typically the first born of a Lord house will inherit the father’s lands, the second born will be sent to govern and defend newly conquered or unstable territory, the rest of the children will become, priests, military commanders, or domestic Ascendancy officials.

Sorcerers: “Sorcerer” is a term used to refer to a magic wielder who comes from a commoner family or lesser nobility. Their gift of magic is usually not as strong as a magic lord and they do not have access to the vast magical knowledge the Magic lords do, but they can learn basic combat magic in the Ascendancy’s armies where they usually serve as magical artillery squads, special forces units, or officers. Should they live to retire they may receive lands and salary provided they serve the Ascendancy well.

Commoners: The life of a commoner varies depending on the region they are from; in most regions taxes are high due to the dangers that plague the Ascendancy, so a commoner must work hard to eke out a meager existence. Commoners with a trade skill or with a merchant business have it better than mere farmers but the majority still live modestly. Of course if one desires they may join an army and go to fight as can fodder, maybe even become an officer or be trained as a sorcerer if they distinguish themselves. Commoners have it best in regions where a necromancer rules, undead preform the basic labor and much of the defense so taxes are usually light and the work of commoners is often less strenuous in nature.

Lethenid: The Lethenid are strange creatures, they are diverse in their natural forms which range from monstrous to beautiful, but many are shape shifters with forms to blend in with the sentient races of Jerda. The Lethenid are highly intelligent and rather cunning, some may be adept in magic, some may possess the strength of ten men; they do not age and grow in power by devouring the souls of sentient races, the source of their strength is perhaps their greatest weakness the most powerful soul a Lethenid can absorb is that of another Lethenid; for this reason they avoid and sometimes hunt each other, they even avoid mating with their own kind and more often create far less dangerous Halflings with humans, who take on a human appearance and lose the ability to devour souls, but retain certain abilities from their Lethenid parent. A Lethenid is not a soulless entity though it naturally longs for the powers of souls it can still experience emotion and care for others, though love is not common for them. There is an entire art of magic built around binding Lethenids to one’s service, the art is not uncommon among mage lord and Sorcerer’s in the Ascendancy though it is very difficult to preform and few sorcerers survive the attempt.

Lands beyond the Ascendancy: To the north is the blue abyss, the vast ocean where the remnants of the Harekan have rebuilt. The Harekan dominion is strong; strong enough to make sea travel a nightmare, but not strong enough to challenge the Ascendancy on land except in the isles of the north where the Harekan and their human islander allies, are at constant war with the Ascendancy. To the east of the ascendancy there is a vast mountain range; due to the abundance of hostile creatures, the freezing temperatures, and the vast nearly impossible to traverse terrain the ascendancy has not devoted significant resources to its exploration; Bands of outlaws and a few human groups living independently from the ascendancy reside there. To the south is a Desert where the Ascendancy has set up a few cities and military outposts, but due to the heat, the lack of water sources, attacks from large and organized insectoid creatures expansion is not progressing well in the region. And to the west is swamp land, disease harsh terrain and large beasts have stalled Ascendancy progression here but outposts do exist; the western natives are much like tribes of humans, but have tough bark for skin and a form of tribal magic, the Ascendancy has formed a tense peace with certain tribes.
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Experience : 35296

Back to top Go down

World building for a book i am trying to write Empty Re: World building for a book i am trying to write

Post by KiloSasha Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Good job. Barely a type in sight.
KiloSasha
KiloSasha
Level 5

Race : Demon
Lover : myself
Experience : 15142

Back to top Go down

World building for a book i am trying to write Empty Re: World building for a book i am trying to write

Post by The Lord Regent Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Type?
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KiloSasha Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:30 pm

*Typo. Fuck!
KiloSasha
KiloSasha
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Ha!
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KiloSasha Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I am shamed.
KiloSasha
KiloSasha
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChambirdie Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Can u go a bit more in depth on their domestic culture.
LaChambirdie
LaChambirdie
Admin

Experience : 26939

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down