Turning Supernatural
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage)

+2
The Lord Regent
Nathanellie
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage) Empty Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage)

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:54 am

Some... guides or theories about magic. Heavily based on an anime called Fate/Stay Night and some other links I found randomly on the Internet. Probably going to use a lot of this as a base for my character, Nathanellie's power.

Last edited by Nathanellie on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Race : Mage
Lover : None
Experience : 22

Back to top Go down

Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage) Empty Re: Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage)

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 am

Magus In General

Magus or Mage (plural Magi) is the term for a human practitioner of Magecraft, the magical science, as opposed to a Magician, who is capable of bringing forth true miracles that are impossible to be reenacted at the current scientific stage. In ancient times, the term magus was used for both the users of Thaumaturgy (the capability of a magician or a saint to work magic or miracles) and Magic, but with the advancement of science that made past miracles possible and the decline of the overall power of Magecraft, the differences between the two became clearer. At the modern age, there are only five Magicians left. A wizard, just like a magus, has a long life. If one uses life-prolonging magic, it wouldn't be impossible to live a few hundred, a few thousand years either.

The very first magi were merely scholars that studied the supernatural, and the present level of Thaumaturgy was attained thanks to the accumulated knowledge and bloodline history started by them. Magi are frequently, but not necessarily, descend from old magical families, as affinity to sorcery is something transmitted through blood relations.

More than just a name, the term "Magus" define a whole set of beliefs and lifestyle. A magus dedicates himself to the study and refinement of Thaumaturgy while driving himself apart of the values of common people in the process. He searches for the greater truths of the universe not to answer existential questions, but just for the sake of knowing. Ideally, a magus would render his own self transparent while still retaining his ego. In reality however, most magi, especially those of the Mage's Association, are often caught up on petty power struggles. On another hand, those who openly deviate from the way of magi are perceived as heretics that do not deserve to be called a magus.
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage) Empty Re: Magical Guide (Some ideas about being a Mage)

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 am

I think koyu will like it as well for the restart, that said we have a few mage characteristics in the restart I think her and I would both like to keep as is, such as having true expertise over  one form of magic, and all that, but I also think some of this could make a nice addition to the lore, and the world in general. Depending on you and koyu of course.
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Experience : 35296

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks Smile
I actually found Fate/Stay Night as a good base to make a Mage based theories.. Well, that and Fairy Tail.. I don't know much about Magus on games and novels though. I have some other information about spell cast and various magical branch that can be used as some character ideas. Feel free to add or use it, if you want to.
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:15 am

Well I think Theses magicians, and magus could make a faction, or even their own supernatural type that would compare and contrast interestingly to the sorcerer types we've established already, and that'd be pretty cool.
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:23 am

Difference between each branch of magic is interesting and there is far wider complexities within each branch. Like while a Magus mostly depends on rituals and sacrifices (blood, animal, people), Magicians (witches, wizards) usually only use spell cast and potions (sorta like Harry Potter, maybe).. when I hear Sorcerer it's usually leads to alchemy and enchantment, they're the scientist of magic. Though, there is some people who would call a magic branch with different names too.
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:24 am

Mechanisms of Magic

When making use of a Thaumatugical Theory stabilized by a first-rate school, one has to go through a pre-established process. For large-scale system like these, incantations are just a part of said process. For a personal-style of Thaumaturgy however, they play the important role of self-hypnosis: to place the mind of the magus in a state in which it can effectively control the Magic Circuits.

Spells have predetermined capacities; so the powers of a particular spell will always remain the same, no matter which magus uses it. The incantations, however, may differ. Regular incantations are something chanted not towards the outer world, but to one’s inner world; they are actions that activate the thaumaturgical process inside one’s body and reflect one’s nature. As long as the incantation of a spell possesses a specific meaning and/or a set of keywords are included in it, the particulars of said incantation are left to the caster's personal tastes. Therefore, it is only natural that they differ from magus to magus. No surprise, magi that boast a great ego usually have long incantations for their spells.

The greater the meaning behind the contents of an incantation to the caster, the better the final result will be. The stronger the self-hypnosis, the more the magus can optimize the use of his Circuits. Changing the words of an incantation does not mean much; what matters is the meaning behind them.

Incantations chanted towards the outer world are called Grand Incantations and are related to Greater Rituals. Performance of one of those alone is said to be impossible. When they are done, it is always in groups. Note that for spells with long incantations, an observable effect on the outer world will usually appear before the process is fully completed. Exception being the cases of the activation of Reality Marbles.

Spells are classified accordingly with the length of their incantations:
>> Single-Action – Instantaneous spells. Requirement for activation is only to pass energy through the Magic Circuits. (ex: Gandr, most of Mystic Eyes).

>> One-Line – Spells that the incantation is made of a single phrase composed of one word at the very least. A thaumaturgical process very well stabilized and easily activated. (ex: a spell stored inside ones family’s Crest).

>> Five-Line – Spells with incantations made of five phrases.

>> Ten-Count – Instantaneous Contract. Already considered a simple ritual. The minimum step necessary to activate High Thaumaturgy (spells with power ranked A or above). Consisting of ten phrases or more. A fully trained magus can perform them in about a minute.

More than the power of the spell, this particular classification seems to be related on how smoothly a mystery can be reenacted: the easier a miracle can be actualized the shorter its incantations will be.
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:33 am

Well so far sorcerer is just a rank in one of the factions I posted in the information, they're normal wizards, but many of them are researchers.
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 am

Koyu look at this
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:28 am

So basically, you want us to have a human that can use magic in a certain way but is not classified as a Mage? (Also I have watched the Fate Stay Night anime so yeah, I get some stuff.)
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Race : Vampire
Experience : 15848

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:35 am

Well, not really. Human who could use magic always fall into Mage category, only the way they use the magic that differ them from another magical user. Like necromancer is different from electromancer. It's like the branch, different types and all like that.. hum, just imagine a tree.. if being a Magic/ Mage is like the actual body, the different kind of magical user (alchemist, sorcerer, etc) is the branch, while the leaves would be the spell and power base... I love writing theoretical stuff like this Very Happy
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:49 am

So, it would only be a different mage type?
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:50 am

Yup, only a different kind of Mage
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:53 am

Bur still a Mage, it goes under the Mage species category and people write Mage on their forms. So this will be an Occupation.
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:01 am

Yes Smile
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:01 am

I mean we can have different breeds of magic users, that operates with different limitations and rules. which is what I think this is? I think ya'll lost me
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:04 am

Yes! That's it Very Happy
Sorry I can't explain it very well..
If the variations of ones race increased it could open even more plots, I think
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:06 am

okay so they are a sub race? now we just need to figure out what makes them distinct from the main race of wizards, and draw clear boundaries around that
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 am

If we are gonna add subraces, then that means more work for me and that Half-Devils and Nephilim exists.
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:12 am

Are you okay with that koyu?
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:15 am

No, of course not! You are working me to death! You have to come up with subraces for Werewolf, Vampire, Fey and Nekomini. You ask too much of me unless you do some of the work.
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanellie Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:17 am

You really contemplating on using this ideas?
Oh my god, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to adding your workload. I thought it sounds fun writing my ideas here
I could help you think up for other subspecies if you want to
Nathanellie
Nathanellie
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:20 am

In order to keep balance if you people really want this to be a subrace instead of an Occupation, so you need to come up with ideas for the others since Half-Devils and Nephilim is a very self explanatory thing.
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Regent Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:20 am

Well not all races need to have sub races and nekomini is basically just a collection of animal themed sub races. tell you what koyu the decision of what to do with this idea is all up to you. I will ask nothing of you, but leave it between you and her. unless you need me to help with something and I will do that
The Lord Regent
The Lord Regent
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyu Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:22 am

I'll think about it on bed hen I lay down, my best ideas come from there.
Koyu
Koyu
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next